Do you want to help fix our relationship with electronics? Join us as a trustee at The Restart Project and help us tackle our throwaway economy and the growing mountain of e-waste.
As we move into our second decade, we’re looking to broaden our board, seeking additional trustees to help us step up and mature as an organisation.
Who are we?
The Restart Project is a charity and social enterprise; we’re a volunteer-driven movement to encourage and empower people to use their electronics longer and better in order to reduce waste and radically transform our relationship with technology.
We started in 2012, in London, by hosting Restart Parties: community repair events where volunteers help participants repair their broken electrical and electronic products, and rethink how we consume them in the first place. Since then we’ve expanded, with our main three areas of activity including:
- Campaigning for better electronics in the UK and EU,
- Encouraging public support for repair and supporting the Right to Repair movement
- Expanding the repair options available to people. Building on our restart parties, this now includes two Fixing Factories in London, a repair directory and support for grassroots community repairers and device refurbishers across the UK.
Our core staff team consists of 7.6 FTE and we work with a network of volunteers and freelance consultants to deliver projects. Though we started locally with hands-on community activities, our mission is big: to “fix” our throw-away relationship with electronics.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for trustees with experience in at least one of the following areas:
- Scaling up: From a local project to a more complex, multi-site network of projects and/ or helping organisations mature from a startup
- Political campaign development (policy, lobbying etc)
- Communications and public engagement strategy (understanding audiences, messaging and tactics to engage public audiences)
We’d also be interested to hear from people with:
- Experience with setting up entities in the EU
- Understanding of the ins and outs of the waste sector
General attributes we’ll be looking for in all trustees:
- Well connected in the environmental, waste, tech, fixing and/ or electronics worlds
- Experience with fundraising
Having trustees with a mix of backgrounds, approaches and perspectives leads to better decision-making and we are happy to receive applications from anyone wanting to make a difference. We especially encourage applications from young people and others underrepresented in tech and environmental sectors. Previous experience as Trustee is not required.
What will you be doing?
As a member of our board, you’ll join a group of dedicated trustees who are passionate about our work, who feel pride in what we’ve achieved and are excited about our ambitions for the future.
The trustees are collectively responsible for the overall governance, financial sustainability and strategic direction of Restart, and for helping us develop our aims, objectives and strategy in accordance with governing documents, and legal and regulatory guidelines.
To apply, please send your CV and a short statement outlining why you want to become a trustee, and which of the above areas of experience you offer to [email protected].
Please apply by: 15th November 2022