We are looking for a full-time Full Stack Developer, for a one-year fixed term contract. Salary £35,103. Location: Remote (UK)
The Restart Project is a social enterprise and volunteer-driven movement that aims to fix our relationship with electronics. We are looking for a talented full stack developer to play a central role in the development of our suite of web applications for community repair.
Our custom-built Restarters.net and Repair Directory applications are growing rapidly, and you will play an integral role in the development of new functionality to support community repair around the world.
Though focused on the front-end, you will also be involved in the development of some backend logic and database interaction. You will have the opportunity to be part of the bigger picture of our work, from helping inform our development practices and architectural decisions, to involvement in refining the user stories that drive our platforms’ growth.
You will work in close collaboration with our Tech and Data Lead, and will be working as part of a dynamic team including UX and visual designers and other developers.
- Creating and maintaining a seamless, responsive front-end experience across browsers and devices, working to design components
- Interacting with and supporting the development of the back-end
- Able to craft responsive front-end experiences across browsers and devices with Bootstrap-based HTML and SASS
- Strong experience of development in an MVC framework (preferably Laravel)
- Good experience with PHP
- Able to use Git and a forge such as GitHub for collaborating on code
- Comfortable working at the command line
- Keen attention to detail and the ability to write well-tested code
- Ability to self-manage time and respond to shifting priorities quickly
- Experience of a JS framework such as Vue or React
- Experience of test-driven development and continuous integration
- An eye for design and understanding of user experience
- Understanding of application architecture and database interaction
- Experience working with Discourse, WordPress and MediaWiki
- Experience interacting with Zeplin
- Understanding of RESTful APIs
- Experience of LAMP (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP) server configuration and maintenance
- Experience of Agile frameworks and Scrum
- Preference for working with free/open source software
- Interest in the right to repair
Location, Compensation and Work Environment
We are offering a one-year fixed-term contract with possible extension. The position is full-time, based on a working week of 37.5 hours. We provide flexibility in working hours. We have office space in London, but are open to remote working arrangements for this position (UK only).
We offer a yearly gross salary of £35,103 plus generous pension contributions and 28 days leave allowance. We also have an ample training budget to support our staff members.
Only people already eligible to work in the UK should apply.
The Restart Project is committed to the principle of Equal Employment Opportunity for all employees, regardless of sex, marital status, nationality, religion, age, sexual orientation and any other characteristics unrelated to the performance of the job.
About the Restart Project
The Restart Project is a London-based social enterprise and volunteer-driven movement to encourage and empower people to use their electronics longer and better in order to reduce waste and radically transform our relationship with technology.
We run and inspire others to run community electronics repair events called Restart Parties, where volunteers help participants learn how to repair their broken electronics, and rethink how they consume them in the first place. And we use the data and stories we collect to help demand better, more sustainable electronics for all.
Though we started locally with hands-on community activities, our mission is big: to “fix” our throw-away relationship with electronics, so that we become happier and more sustainable.
Send a CV and covering letter to [email protected] by July 5th 2020. Please specify the position you are applying for in the email subject.