About the Restart Project
Electronic waste is one of the fastest growing waste streams. We are all consuming too fast, and we feel frustrated when products fail. The Restart Project is a charity and social enterprise that helps people transform their relationship with electronics by teaching repair at community events, working with educators and makers, and advocating for better policies. We started as an all-volunteer organisation and volunteers still play a crucial role in supporting our team. We look at the big picture, on how to improve electronics for people and the planet, from design and manufacture all the way to end of life, and our community activities are central to this. Greater community action and involvement, as well as a revitalised commercial repair sector, are needed to transform our society.
About the role
The focus of this role is networking and communication: engaging with our London network of event hosts and volunteers to build and strengthen events, and creating partnerships with repair businesses to boost the repair economy and build a shared platform for change. This role sits within the Community Team and reports to the Outreach Lead.
What we offer
We provide the chance to make a difference in a fun, eclectic and creative atmosphere, where work can move quickly and not be hampered by bureaucracy. We also have an ample training budget to support our staff members. We are based in an inspiring Zone 2 location and have flexible working hours. Read more about what it’s like to work for us.
We are offering a full time position with a one-year contract, with possibility of renewal.
Schedule: 37.5 hours a week, with some flexibility within our core working hours of 10.30am to 4.30pm, and the need for occasional participation in evening and weekend events.
Compensation: £27,846 p.a. plus pension contributions and 28 days leave allowance. Only people already eligible to work in the UK should apply.
Applications will be accepted until Monday 26 August. Apply via email at [email protected] with your CV and a covering letter and/or video.
Interviews with selected candidates will be scheduled for Monday 2 September.
London Network Support
- Manage the calendar of Restart events in London to maximise accessibility of our events
- Support London Restart Party hosts to use our online tools, collect and share data about impact, access equipment and recruit volunteers
- Build and maintain a relationship with Restart Party hosts and other members of the network
- Working with volunteer coordinators to plan and deliver volunteer welcome sessions
- Build a strong working relationship with the volunteer coordinators
Partnerships with repair businesses
- Building strong relationships with repair businesses in London and helping to form relationships between repair businesses and community repair groups
- Involving London businesses in our advocacy work
- Investigating businesses to contribute to skillshare events
- Liaising with partners in the London area including workshops, small businesses, cultural and educational institutions, waste authorities and local authorities
- Content production for the web, social media, email, and print, including drafting copy, sourcing and editing images
- Content creation for social media at London-based events
- Assistance coordinating media requests and appearances at Restart Parties
- Monitoring media hits, charting and sharing our success via the website and other channels
- Managing the on-call media rota for media appearances
Skills & Experience
- Ability to engage & communicate with people effectively, both one-on-one and in groups
- Ability to articulate and embody community values
- Experience with volunteer engagement and management
- Understanding of open ways of working and fostering diversity in practice
- Highly organised with experience of managing calendars
- Good communication and support, both in writing and in person
- Strong copywriting
- Experience in creating content for web and social media channels
- Experience using mailing lists, Meetup, Twitter, Instagram, online collaboration tools
- Passion for saving the planet, electronic waste, electronics and/or making
- Event Management
- Fundraising and managing grants or contracts
- Public speaking experience
- Experience liaising with or supporting small businesses
- Experience working with the media and managing requests
- Experience using tools like Trello, Wiki, project management tools
- Experience working in an innovative, mission-driven organisation